Monday, December 15, 2008

Nothing special

I am sitting here alone at home on a day off of work. Nothing exciting going on, but I do feel like a happier person to know that the temperature is warming up a bit since the past week or so has brought cold mornings and mild afternoons. And the temperature in the mornings definitely affects my daily bike ride to work. For those that don't know, I live about 5 miles away from work and ride a bike both ways daily. I also find it harder to keep a consistent speed if I sit on the bike seat as I go along, so I rely heavily on standing up on the pedals and keeping a good pace. This obviously means a good cardiovascular work-out twice a day, being that it takes me about 30 minutes to trek the 5-mile distance.

I used to have a car. About two months ago, it died on me from overheating. That's probably some lack of care on my part, but it's just something to learn from at this point. So, for the past two months, I have been riding my bike to work and I hated it for probably the first two weeks. I still kind of hate it now, but I am more used to it and feel more physically fit than I probably did two months ago. I have also been looking into getting a scooter being that EVERYONE here has one. Two or three weeks ago, I tried to get financed on a new 2009 Yamaha Zuma (~$2,000) and was denied. So, I have been saving money since then (about $300 every other week).

As of last Wednesday, December 10th, I am now the owner of a decent used scooter. That purchase has actually put me in a state of being broke and hungry. I will only need to last until Friday (pay-day!) and everything will be alright. Also, I will be doing a few things for the scooter on Friday (or later), such as getting a new helmet, replace one of the headlight bulbs, replace the brake light bulb, have a scooter shop check out some minor details with the scooter, and get a parking decal. I think I might be okay without a decal as the place I want to park may not require a decal. I'll be finding that out soon, of course.

So, for today, I am sitting here listening to music and starting a new blog here on Blogger. They say it's the coolest place to blog at, so I thought I would try it out. If you're dropping by my blog site, leave a comment and I'll check out your blog as well. Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the scooter!!

    I'll pray you don't starve till Fri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason & welcome to Blogger! I'm adding you to my blog list so I can keep up with updates.

    Hey, congrats on buying the scooter! That's a big deal. You mentioned needing to take it to be serviced essentially at a scooter shop. I strongly recommend NS4L (new scooters for less, just google 'em) located on North Main. I know the owner and he runs a great, efficient, and reliable shop. If you end up going up there, let him know I sent you. His name is Collin; he's my boy!

    I look forward to reading much of your writing here. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Oh, and thanks to my grandmother, I won't be starving. She sent me a Christmas card in the mail and it was stuffed with a little bit of money. Obviously, I called her and thanked her for it!

    Oh and thanks for the tip on the scooter shop! Being that I'm not all too familiar with Gainesville yet, I may just take up your recommendation and check them out.

    ReplyDelete